￼The following list by Richard Owen Roberts in Revival may yield evidence of backsliding and empirically illustrate that leaders are a backslidden group:
1) When prayer ceases to be a vital part of professing Christian’s life
2) When the quest for Biblical truth cease and one grows content with the knowledge of eternal things already acquired.
3) When Biblical knowledge possessed or acquired is treated as external fact and not applied inwardly.
4) When earnest thought about eternal things ceases to be regular and gripping
5) When services of the Church lose their delights.
6) When pointed spiritual discussions are an embarrassment.
7)When sports, recreation and entertainment are a large and necessary part of your lifestyle.
8) When sins of the body and of the mind can be indulged without an uproar in your consciences.
9) When aspirations for Christ-like holiness cease to be dominate in your life and thinking.
10) When the acquisition of money and goods becomes a dominate part of your thinking.
11) When you can mouth religious songs and words without heart.
12) When you can hear the Lord’s name used in vain, spiritual concerns mocked, and eternal issues flippantly treated and not be moved to indignation and action
13) When you can watch degrading movies and televisions and read morally debilitating literature. 14) When breaches of peace in the brotherhood are of no concern to you
15) When the slightest excuse seems sufficient to keep you from Spiritual duty and opportunity.
16) When you become content with you lack of Spiritual power and no longer seek repeated endowments of power from on high.
17) When you pardon your own sin and sloth by saying the Lord understands and remembers that we are dust.
18) When there is no music in your soul and no song in your heart.
19) When you adjust happily to the world’s lifestyle.
20) When injustice and human misery exist around you, and you do little or nothing to relieve the suffering.
21) When your Church has fallen into Spiritual declension and the Word of God is no longer preached there with power, and you are still content.
22) When the spiritual condition of the world declines around you and you cannot perceive it.
23) When you are willing to cheat your employer.
24) When you find yourself rich in grace and mercy and marvel at your own godlikeness.
25) When you tears are dried up and the hard, cold spiritual facts of your existence cannot unleash them.
Are we backsliding in our Christian walk? The above list is a very good measure of where we are in our faith. Circle the number/numbers that you’re struggling with and ask God to deliver you from them. God has given us all the resources, blessings in Christ, to live a victorious life. Let us began to do so in His power and greatness.
On a personal note I struggle with number: 1, 12, 15, 20. May God use this list to bring us back in a “right” relationship with Him.