I’m reading: “Living the Cross Centered Life” by CJ Mahaney
It is a very easy and light read, but filled with a lot of important truths.
I found today’s reading particularly poignant and so I will share it with you…giving credit to CJ for his words and with a few of my thoughts.
“Do you want to live a cross centered life? A cross centered life is made up of cross centered days.”
A few paragraphs later… CJ writes:
“Reminding ourselves of the gospel is the most important daily habit we can establish. If the gospel is the most vital news in the world, and if salvation by grace is the defining truth of our existence, we should create ways to immerse ourselves in these truths every day. No days off allowed.
This is ‘preaching the gospel to yourself,’ … And don’t worry – even if you don’t consider yourself a public speaker, you can do this kind of preaching. Your audience is your own heart. And the message is simple: Christ died for your sins.” – p. 132-133.
5 ways to do so. For the details, read the book. :)
1) Memorize the Gospel – as Psalms instructs, let us store up His Word in our hearts.
2) Pray the Gospel – The gospel should be at the center of our prayer life because it makes it possible for us to approach God. The gospel gives us the confidence to pray boldly and so we’re accepted in God’s beloved Son.
3) Sing the Gospel – Our hearts, the Christian heart, should be brimming over every day with the song of Calvary. Worship songs should be centered on Christ, and that which draw us to the amazing truth of what our Heavenly Father has done on our behalf.
4) Review how the Gospel has changed you – “Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.” (I think I butchered this quote…) I am not talking about reveling in your sinful past, but to remember our past, and let it remind us of how marvelous God’s salvation truly is in our lives… and how His love, grace and mercy has brought us back to the feet of the cross. It is by God’s intervention… His omnipotent arms coming into history, and molding and moving the course of existence/the universe to bring you to Him through His beloved Son.
5) Study the Gospel – “To grow in your passion for what Jesus has done, increase your understanding of what He has done… never be content with your current grasp of the gospel. The gospel is life-permeating, world-altering, universe-changing truth. It has more facets than any diamond. We will never exhaust its depths” (P. 142).
I love this, CJ Mahaney then follows by reminding us that we CANNOT do this on our own… apart from God we can not do this… we need to seek out God to do so. Impossible without the Lord to assist. It is to seek the Holy Spirit to strengthen and guide us and give us this desire to pursue Him faithfully and diligently. It is asking God to open our hearts, to whet our appetites, to reveal our cavernous thirst… to break our hearts with what breaks His heart… it is to fall in love with Him again and again, day after day.